At first glance, you think the combination is so weird - prunes, olives & capers?! BUT, let me assure you that it is SOOOOOO freakin' good! Sweet and salty, this recipes just takes chicken to the next level.
Classic Marbella recipes call for a LOT of sugar and a hefty amount of olive oil. Since prunes are incredibly sweet already, I opted to nix the sugar and halve the olive oil, to make a skinnier version of this recipe. And since I used chicken breast instead of chicken legs, the bake time has been cut in half to 3O minutes. Saving time for important things like quality time with my two favorite dudes!
Prep Time: 1O min | Marinading Time: 6+ hours | Bake Time: 3O min | Total Time: 6hr 3O min
Yields: 6 servings
- 8OO-1OOO grams chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 8 cloves, garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup Spanish green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup capers, with a bit of juice
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley, garnish
- In a large bowl combine garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, vinegars, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers with caper juice, and bay leaves. Add the chicken pieces and coat completely with the marinade (use your hands to rub marinade all over and especially under the skin). Cover and let marinate, refrigerated,for at least 6hr or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and spoon marinade over it evenly.
- Bake for 3Ominutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices. For the last 5 minutes, change oven to broil setting so that chicken gets browned. Chicken is done when meat is white all the way through.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter. Add some of the pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley. Serve remaining sauce in a gravy boat. Serve alongside cooked brown rice and a side green salad for a complete & balanced meal.
And if you want even more awesome workouts, technique videos, clean-eating recipes and motivational tips, sign up with your email below & get it all straight in your inbox every Friday!