But first we have to get through the traveling.....wish us luck! Now onto the tastiest part of this post!
There are soooo many fun & creative ideas for spooky treats on Pinterest. I loved the simplicity of this one, because as I said, we're in the middle of packing (ie in the middle of chaos!) for our big move back to Canada. So doing anything over-the-top fancy was just not in the cards this week.
I still had a ton of ingredients I wanted to use up from my pantry so I re-purposed my Maple Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes recipe to create these. The Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is a borrowed recipe from one of my favorite vegan food bloggers Angela Liddon from Oh She Glows. It's so perfect I didn't make any alterations. High five to Ange! Then I topped the cupcakes off with crushed gluten-free "Oreo" cookies as the "dirt", and placed sour candy worms and fake spiders for the spooky effect.
This recipe is so good it will scare the gluten from the grain - BOO! OK probably not, but they are gluten-free, vegan and really freakin good!
Speaking of sour candy, did you know it's my ultimate kryptonite? It's pretty much the one thing that I totally overindulge in if I even get a small taste, so I almost never buy it. So when I bought a big bag on the weekend for these cupcakes, I found myself dipping into the stash one too many times until the bag was gone -oops! Another trip into town to get these from the candy store - this time I saved them for the treats ;)
Hope you enjoy this spooky recipe, the festivities & of course, Happy Halloween!
HALLOWEEN "DIRT" CUPCAKES
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C (35O° F).
- In a large bowl, mix together coconut flour, cacao powder, sea salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk eggs. Then add coconut oil and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Using a hand mixer, slowly add wet ingredients to dry and combine thoroughly.
- Line a muffin tray with paper liners or silicone cups, and divide the batter equally between 8 cups.
- Bake for 18-2O minutes (mine took 2O minutes) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool once baked.
- While cupcakes bake, make the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. With a hand mixer, beat all the ingredients except the almond milk together in a large bowl. Add the milk in gradually, making sure the mixture remains thick but easily spreadable.
- In a small sealable bag, place Oreo cookies, close the bag, and give them a good smash until there are small chunks of cookie and a lotta "dirt". Place cookie crumble into a bowl.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, spread the frosting onto each one. Then dip them into the cookie crumble until they're almost all covered. Top with a candy worm and spider, and et vóila! Happy Halloween!
Sign up with your email & get FREE recipes, workout videos, & fitness motivation every week to build that dream bod you've always wanted!