Cycling is the main mode of transportation here in Maastricht and so I am biking pretty much daily to get around this little town. Ty and I decided to start our weekend off right by biking to the university gym, with him pumping iron and me teaching my first solo spin class. As we left on a natural high from our great morning accomplishments, there is an underpass and 3-way path that has zero visibility and as we turned the corner, in combination with the rainy weather and a stupid bird on the
path, my quick reflexes had me swerve to miss stupid bird, resulting in me falling off my bike and Ty driving over my hand :( Wet, bruised, and in a lot of pain, we cycled home and decided the only way to ease this pain was to create endorphins, in the form of a beer tasting and baking a delicious chocolatey treat. I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers Juli at paleomg.com - if you haven't checked out her site, you absolutely must! She is hilarious and has incredible recipes for those of you inclined to eat paleo. For all you chocolate lovers and those in need of some much needed happy hormones, this one is for you:
- 1 c mashed bananas (2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 c almond butter
- 1/2 c cashew butter
- 1/4 c honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 1/4 c almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 c raspberries
- 1/2 c dark chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit (175 degrees Celcius)
2. Place bananas, nut butters, honey and eggs in a blender/processor and puree until smooth.
3. Add cocoa powder, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and puree until well combined.
4. Add mixture to a large bowl and fold in ground flaxseed, raspberries and chocolate chips.
5. Pour mixture into a greased bread pan (9×5) and bake for 60-75 minutes.
6. Once bread is cooked through, let it cool.
7. In the microwave, mix together raspberries and honey until raspberries break apart.
8. In the microwave, mix together chocolate chips and coconut milk until melted.
9. Add both the raspberry mixture and melted chocolate on top of the banana bread in any design you like, and enjoy!
Yields: 12 pieces
Nutritional content (per 1/12th loaf):