What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a holistic health care system that blends modern science with the art of natural and traditional healing methods. Naturopathic doctors are primary care physicians that complete full physical assessments, order lab tests and diagnose conditions, collaborate with other health care practitioners, and implement natural treatments according to naturopathic principles and philosophy. NDs are able to act as your primary health care practitioner or as part of your health care team, and they treat almost any health concern. To find out more about my services, click HERE.
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
- First, to do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- To treat the causes of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- To teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine, by sharing knowledge with patients and encouraging individual responsibility for health.
- To heal the whole person through individualized treatment, by understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to illness, and customizing treatment protocols to the patient.
- To emphasize prevention, by partnering with the patient to assess risk factors and recommend appropriate naturopathic interventions to maintain health and prevent illness.
- To support the healing power of the body, by recognizing and removing obstacles to the body's inherent self-healing process.